Designer Charles D. Mower 1875-1942
Charles Drown Mower of New York was a noted yacht designer and author, and was at one time design editor of the Rudder magazine and a contributing author to Motor Boating magazine. From 1895 to 1899 he studied yacht design with Arthur Binney and later Bowdoin B. Crowninshield. In 1911 he began a partnership with Thomas D. Bowes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. During World War I he served as a lieutenant commander in the Construction Corps, Naval Reserve. After the war, Mower worked alone and in partnership as Mower and Humphries Ltd. He was also a chief naval architect at Henry B. Nevins, Inc., City Island, New York, and in 1937 was associated with the office of Nelson & Reid, Inc. He was official measurer of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club, the Cruising Club of America and the New York Yacht Club.
The original boat was built by
M. M. Davis & Son
During the 1930s the M.M. Davis & Son Shipyard produced many fine wooden yachts that brought international fame to Solomons. The High Tide, for example, owned by Eugene DuPont, won nearly every race she entered until she was so heavily handicapped that DuPont refused to race or sell the Davis-built yacht. Marcellus Mitchell Davis started this shipyard in about 1883 and ran it until 1924, when he turned it over to his son, Clarence E. Davis, who ran it until his death in 1936, when it was bought by George Townsend, of Greenwich, Connecticut. In 1946, it switched to building plywood Cruis-Along boats, pausing only to build two minesweepers in the 1950s. In 1954, Townsend sold the yard to its employees and in 1957, they changed the name to Cruis Along Boats. In 1962 it was acquired by Century Boats and became the Century Cruiser Division. Century closed it in 1965 and the yard was leased to Ventnor Boats. until 1970. It was briefly revived again in 1971 but closed for good in 1975. The shipyard was located at the foot of Florence Avenue, near Ship Point, and is now used as a tugboat terminal by Dominion LNG.